Saturday, May 7, 2011

happiness attack



This morning the Bruns market was on, it being the first Saturday of the month. Over our coffees and Thai coconut cakes, I said to D, ‘I’m so glad we live here’ 

The high tide river was glittering green. We bought vegetable and flowers and had little chats with stall holders and acquaintances. A gaggle of adolescent girls from F’s class were running about giggling, one of them with a goldfish in a plastic bag full of water. 

And then the moment when I heard the music. They are a local duo who turn up around the place - sound a bit like the Gypsy Kings. It’s music that goes straight to my soul. I suddenly wanted to dance. 

This guy sings in Spanish, so passionately you feel he might rip his heart right out of his chest any minute, or fall down sobbing.  All the women waiting at the coffee stall were saying, I wanna marry him! His partner  who plays fabulous flamenco guitar is the perfect contrast : deadpan-soulful, with a toothpick sticking out of the corner of his mouth. I bought their CD.

F  spent the arvo at E’s place, after soccer. E was here last night too. They are like a pair of puppy dogs, all legs and arms. Wrestling with eachother, kicking a balls, plunking a guitar, flopping about, consuming mountains of rice bubbles and pasta. Making a mess.

A peaceful domestic afternoon getting the laundry done and the house in order. I even spent 15 minutes lazing in a deck chair in the mild autumn sunshine doing nothing. Later D showed me a couple of You Tubes of early Dusty Springfield. Dressed like Doris Day, and sounding like Aretha Franklin. Later, looking like a sort of wonderful drag queen. God, the woman could sing! I knew every single lyric. And was right back there with the emotional intensity of my adolescence.

I went and picked F up at dinnertime. As we drove home a delicate crescent moon hung in the dusk sky over the silhouette of our little pointy mountain. We were listening to Jack Johnson on the car stereo. I said ‘I’m having a happiness attack’

Next challenge: work out how to link You Tube to blog. If you wanna hear Dusty, try this & see if it works..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5LS---oX7Y&feature=related

No comments: