Tuesday, May 3, 2011

death of the tyrant

Will we never learn?


"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that"
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


I felt sad and empty when I heard the news that they'd finally hunted down and killed Bin Laden. It was disturbing to hear the jubilant crowd celebrating, even sanctifing his murder. It was scarey to hear the smug self-congratulating politicians. Sad to think how dumb and violent we are, how we never seem to learn...(sigh)


"An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind" - Gandhi. 





6 comments:

Pet said...

I cannot agree more. Watching "big cattle rancher" Angela Merkel congratulate "sheriff" Obama for the capture of Bin Laden, dead or alive like in an old western, has been comical if it weren't that pathetic. It was Bush all over again!
Please, isn't anybody, but you, going to say anything? I have to write something about it too.
It is so refreshing to hear from you now and then. How is your broccoli garden doing? Fast or slow? :-) I didn't get it. And I didn’t particularly like your dinner at the Ex-Services Club :-) but I liked hearing about it from you.

Jane said...

Well I shall try to serve up a classier meal next time! Perhaps the excellent French restaraunt?

re Osama killing , I have seen quite a bit of anguish & despair about it on Facebook & blogs - there are many good people out there...I think that's one of the things I love about the online community, feeling connected with decent folk all over the world ( Especially Avaaz etc.)

As for the broccoli -it's planted, I'll keep you posted

Rossco said...

Obama now seems full of rhetoric but empty of real compassion and wisdom...like so many'leaders'in this age. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back the other way in our children's time but I sometimes think...too much.

Anonymous said...

Just fyi, the first sentence of that quote is not really from MLK. The sentiment is still a good one, though.

Explanation: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/anatomy-of-a-fake-quotation/238257/

Jane said...

Thanks anonymous - I picked that up tonight too ( via Facebook link )But, as you say,what they express collaboratively ( first sentence Jessica, the rest MLK) is pretty spot on

Sarah Wedgbrow said...

yes, the whole thing makes me uncomfortable. rather than celebrations, I'd prefer time for reflection.
There's a little book called A GAME OF THRONES where the lord of the northern provinces (who is essentially the king of the north) carries out the sentences himself. i.e. he had to behead a deserter according to the law. I wonder how quick Obama would have been to gun down Bin Laden himself, and under what law that would be considered just?
I'm not blaming the president for how things have transpired because I don't think there was much choice in the matter. This is probably the thing that tastes the most bitter in my mouth.