Friday, April 1, 2011

hairy metaphors

D has started blogging. More accurately, he now has a blogger ‘account’ and has been checking out other people’s blogs. And he has a title for his own as-yet unwritten blog.  It gives us something in common, apart from F. 

It also gives us  something to talk about in the car driving up to Maleny last Friday arvo. We are going up for one night,  for our old friend  L’s 60th  ( yes, sixtieth!) birthday celebration ‘soiree’. We’ve left F behind to have a sleepover at his mate’s - a first. 

As we drive north through the green hills of the Tweed Valley I tell D I’m a bit sick of my blog. I’m sick of my nice, fair-minded, sensible persona, and all those pictures of flowers. It’s dull! I’m nostalgic for a younger, bolder version of myself who told it like it was and bugger the consequences.

Though actually, it was excruciating at times, my terrible teenage/early 20's honesty. My Saggitarian tactlessness was a social handicap. I was always the one saying how bad someone’s new haircut looked, oblivious to the fact that everyone else had gone quiet because the  person was walking in the door behind me. I also learnt that  most people don’t really want to hear the truth. Still struggle with that one. 

I envied those quiet mysterious girls who the boys found so alluring. I tried to be like them, tried to just shut up and look mysterious - but sooner or later I’d blow it and blurt out some un-mysterious thing.

Later for a brief period, I embraced being loud, at least visually - blue spikey hair and red (‘80s feminist) overalls.

Since then I have cultivated discretion and diplomacy. All very wise and necessary. But I am missing something. Some sort of risk-taking edge, some willingness to let fly. In my life, and my writing. Maybe it’s just a symptom of middle age, of responsible parenthood. 


Yeah says D, his eyes on the road as we slide up the Bruce Highway through the dreary concrete and asphalt  limbo of South East Queensland. I know what you mean. Up until now he’s only ever said he likes my blog, good, easy to read etc. 

He tells me about going to a hairdresser in London thirty years ago. Some very flash place, Vidal Sassoon. It was  a sort of masterclass for hairdressers, he was one of the models. The woman doing his hair did a lovely job, he was happy, it looked good. Then the visiting celebrity artiste-hairdressing instructor came around and said “Yes, very nice, Darling, but it just needs a bit of ...- this!” And in a wild spontaneous guesture she snipped out a chunk of D’s hair.

And it looked even better. The person who’d given the original  cut was upset. But I bet she learnt something. That’s what your writing lacks he said. Hmm. How to cut to the chase?


5 comments:

Pet said...

I think you should enjoy the many wonderful things that you've got, and other things too if they come along. Think the worse, you will lose all of them eventually, so better you enjoy them while they last. Cheers :-)
Don't think that I haven't got my share of crisis too, but life is too short to waste the time complaining.
And about your writing, your English is so alive, one can somehow like touch your words, and then they are weightless. I know that I am not but a non English speaker with a terrible writing, but I do read a lot in English, I love it, I have read all the classics too, and I know when something is real, alive as I have said, and not just some pedantic effort to look like literature (so much around).
I guess it can be improved, like everything, but I would be really proud of that too.

Keto LO said...

I only get my hair cut by a Vidal Sassoon master trained hair dresser! I feel like when I am getting my hair cut that an artist is at work.

Jane said...

Thanks for your comments. Lael I want to know where this master hairdresser is!

And 'Pet', thanks for your regular encouragement of me and my writing

eweanme said...

I'm sorry for your discontent, but I really enjoy reading your Blog - makes me feel like you're still here, chatting over a cuppa, instead of miles away!
Sending you all lotsa love and woolly hugs for Autumn ..... Baaaaaa!

Jane said...

dearest eweanme, how nice to hear from you...Hello! One day we'll have that cuppa together love to both of ewes