Thursday, October 13, 2011

Spring ginko




My third Cloudcatchers’ haiku ginko - autumn, winter, now spring.

We meet at a picnic table by the lake - eight or nine of us. Average age 65-70. I feel like a young spunk.

Several of the women have brought home-made biscuits in plastic lunch boxes. We all have our sun hats. They chat about a funeral and about who won various haiku competitions.

Their conversation is threaded-through with quoted, memorised haiku -  their own, eachothers’. Like small cherished objects, handed around.

We have an hour to wander about in silence gathering sensory data for haiku. Trying to engage the non-visual senses ( I close my eyes, suddenly notice the cool water-smelling breeze, birdsong, distant traffic)









surf club kiosk



The wide  ti-tree lake, fringed with paperbark is pale grey, peaceful. Across the road, the ocean beach is hot and harsh and loud. I spend a moment standing in the sand by the surf club, then retreat back to the banksia-shaded lakeside where willy wagtails flutter on the grass in dappled light. 

There is an elderly man in a motorised wheel chair parked by the lake. I’m aware of him in my peripheral vision several metres away as I watch six cute ducklings swimming and preening and shaking their feathers.  As if they’re in a chldren’s song.

I’m hoping for inspiration, something simple yet profound. Then I’m just watching the ducklings

'They were born right over there', the white-haired man volunteers, pointing to a shady place near the water’s edge about six weeks ago. I know every bird that lives around this lake. And the lizards too - have you seen the lizards?’ 

A moment later a water dragon scuttles onto a branch overhanging the water.

‘What are you writing in your book?’, he asks ‘I’m as deaf as a post  - you’ll have to write your answer for me.’

He comes here every day, he loves this place. He radiates some sort of happiness, just to be here. 


could i envy
the stillness
of an old deaf man in a wheelchair?

lake edge 
duck gobbles
at ripples in clouds

shall i sit and wait
for haiku
- or go searching? 


1 comment:

Pet said...

Restlessness is at the end the worst vice, sit and wait.
PS. This is the pot calling the kettle black :-)