Monday, September 19, 2011

an afternoon of rare spontaneity


A friend rang today and asked if I could babysit her nearly-three year old daughter. Miraculously I was free  this afternoon, so I said ‘Yes’, and little Ellie was delivered to my door shortly afterwards. I was flattered that she was happy to be left with me - It’s the first time, and she’s a girl who knows her own mind. 

We waved off her Mummy and went back inside. E scouted around for a good spot and settled on the loungeroom floor, then set to getting out the contents of her little pink backpack. I had decided I would hang out with her, not try to keep doing stuff in the office.

She pulled out  some coloured modelling wax - just like F used to play with - and together we made various things - a flower, a snake , an umbrella, in yellow, purple, orange wax. We stuck them on a little wooden house which E’s Mum, she told me, had got at ‘a elephant’. A white elephant.

We conjured up floods and boats and ducks and cups of tea - at that point Ellie leapt up and sang “I’m a little teapot” complete with actions. I joined in. Tip me over, pour me out

Later I dug out an old Ikea children’s tent of F’s, and put it up on the verandah. She sat in there giggling and zipping and unzipping the front door. I was asked in. 

Then it was time to go and collect F, do a bit of shopping in town, then head up to K’s, where we’d been invited to come and pick mulberries. 

Click-click, into the car seat, familiar from long ago. I felt like a grandma, what a nice feeling. A little sticky hand in mine. Bright, open eyes. 

We met up with E’s Mum, and she joined us on the mulberry foraging visit. ‘It’s primal isn’t it?’ she said, as we stuffed ourselves with sweet fruit straight off the tree, our lips and fingers stained dark wine colour. Everyone rummaging among the greenery. Late afternoon on  this suddenly hot summer day, sitting in the grass, lolling about till almost dinnertime. 



1 comment:

Pet said...

A beautiful afternoon. You do manage to get a lot of warm beauty of things, at least you did manage this particular afternoon. I'm glad that you had such a good time.
And it is always nice to read you, but you know that by now.