Friday, August 19, 2011

Caring For Country






I have just returned  from Arnhemland in the Northern Territory.  Still a bit dazed. I think I left a little part of myself up there, way out in that distant  Stone Country.

Was it only a week ago that I saw this painting of a black walleroo in an ancient rock art gallery on the Mok clan estate out  past Kabulwarnamyo?

The painting itself is not old. It was the final image painted on rock by the great Aboriginal artist Bardayal ‘Lofty’ Nadjamerrek, upon whose land my companions and I were privileged visitors. Lofty was born in 1926 and died in 2010. 

While we were in Arnhemland we referred to him only by the ‘sorry’ names of ‘The Old Man’ or ‘Wamud’ His people do not speak the names of the recently deceased. 

The Old Man was by all accounts an extraordinary person - a respected elder and senior  ceremonial  man who grew up  in his traditional culture in the Western Arnhemland escarpment country. He did not  encounter white people until he was in his teens.  Later  on in his long and colourful life,  he became  a highly successful artist in the white world, 

But perhaps even more significantly, he encouraged his countrymen to return to the lands they had left decades earlier. Round the middle of last century the imposition of new whitefella laws, and the  seductions of  flour, sugar and tobacco led people to walk off their clan estates and head for the towns and settlements and what looked like an easier life. 


One consequence of this for the land, abandoned by it’s caretakers was that devastating bushfires burnt out of control across the Stone Country,  killing countless plants and animals and releasing huge amounts of greenhouse gases. In the old days the people of the land worked with fire in finely tuned and sensitive ways, lighting small  cool fires early in the dry season, to regenerate the country, and ensuring that fires never caused mass destruction.

From what we were told by the Warddeken Rangers - modern day custodians and land managers of their  tribal lands -  fire has always been  central to their culture, their ceremony, their land management practises. 

In the 1980s and 90’s  Lofty  encouraged and supported people to move back to their homelands ( or outstations). He worked along side them to get infrastructures set up. The very last place he helped to establish was his own homeland at Kabulwarmamyo.

...So much to reflect upon. It’s going to take me weeks, at least, to sift through all the experiences and images and information. There’ll be more Northern Territory/ Stone Country/ Maningrida blogs to come.  

Meanwhile I find myself back in this ‘real life’  of mine - At least in body if not mind. I’m making sandwiches for F’s school lunch and watering the vegetable garden and wandering aimlessly in the supermarket unable to focus. Just  waiting till I drop down into really being here again. 


4 comments:

Pet said...

It is nice to have you back here, in this other - virtual - world.
Which one is the real one, the Arnhemland dreamland, the sandwiches for F, the daydreams by themselves?
I really relish on reading your Posts.
And thanks for your kind words about my writing, unschooled as I am in English, it is the most flattering thing that anyone can say to me.
I still have to find out why writing in English is that important to me :-)

Janet said...

Your post about Stone Country brought tears to my eyes. My interactions with Aborginal people and Aborginal Australia here in Melbourne range from fairly positive to downright distressing/alarming. Mostly at work. Our very local community is lucky to have contact with some local Wurundjeri people centring on the cultivation and harvest of murnong at a re vegetated site on the banks in the Merri creek. This means my daughter has the opportunity to see contemporary Aboriginal culture alive and functioning in her backyard rather than as something to be observed in a museum.

When I read about the homelands in the NT, I ponder the relationship between the loss of connection to country and what I sometimes see in the city now. But I also marvel that this precious connection is being preserved and nurtured somewhere. I think/hope that the effects of connection to country will ripple around everywhere.

Look forward to reading about more your journey!

Rossco said...

It's always so nice to visit parts of this magical continent still predominately 'wild'. It is sad that most of us in our busy lives don't take time to re-connect with the essence of life as it exists away from the 'civilised' landscape we have created. It was good to see you again, if all too briefly, and share a bit of our crazy little part of the planet.

Jane said...

Thanks for your comment Janet. I'm happy to hear of what's happening at Merri Creek. And great that it's so local for you. ( I used to live in Northcote) I think it's really important to share these heartening stories about people in relationship with country . I'm hopeful about the ripple effect. Apparently a couple of the Karbulwarnamyo guys went to a big gathering in Afrrica I think, all focused on indigenous people caring for their traditional lands.