Friday, March 18, 2011

the banality of daily life...sigh


The window cleaner - Kev - was  coming at 8 this morning to clean our windows. Finally, after about two years I’d gotten around  to this  item on The Eternal List. In the meantime, spiders and mudwasps have had it very good at our place. But enough is enough. I find  ‘Kevin’ in the local paper. External house wash, windows. Sure, he says

Kevin has an Irish accent, which always gives an unfair advantage. He turns up - this is  a few days ago - walks around with a clipboard, agrees to come back today. Good. I can’t wait to get all those smeary, cobwebby unreachable upper windows clean. And the mudwasp palaces, despite their sculptural qualities, are getting way out of hand on our external walls and doorways.


This morning I wake up, after not sleeping very much, feeling grumpy at the thought of a stranger in the house for several hours, even though I will be out for most of it. Ah but it will be worth it!

We push the furniture away from windows. Behind the sofa  there is a dust-covered photo of F in the under 10 cricket team three years ago. And a dead frog. Behind the bed, mainly just a lot of fluff, and the odd hair tie and kleenex tissue. I’ll wait till after Kev’s been before I clean there.

Where is Kev? He was meant to be here an hour ago. I call him & he says he was just about to call me any moment but what with the weather ‘n all...

The weather here is cool and grey, just a touch of drizzle. Pretty good window cleaning weather, I would have thought. He tells me that it’s absolutely rainin’ cats and dogs up where they are - about ten minutes from here. And that you don’t want the rain spoiling your nice clean windows. ( Does rain spoil nice clean windows, I wonder?) 

Oh that’s okay, I say, I’m not worried about a bit of rain on the glass, and the really dirty ones are under the verandah roof which is why they are so dirty.

Well actually, he says, It’s his wife, she’s feeling a bit poorly today, so He’d like to stay at home with her. Well of course I say, you’d better.

D speculates that Kev’s sudden unavailability has something to do with the fact that yesterday was St Patrick’s Day. Who knows?

I contemplate doing the ‘deep cleanse’ anyway- how satisfying it would be. No, I haven’t got time. I push the furniture back where it was.  I don’t even move the dessicated frog. Maybe when Kev comes next week...God, why am I writing about all this? 








spider web art shots - AKA me farting around on the computer when I could be doing something useful like cleaning behind the sofa. 

1 comment:

Pet said...

Come one! Leave melancholy aside for a little while. It is only a little while. And go for it. You will feel much much better afterwards. And everything will look nice and clean too :-) and you will feel great too.