Sunday, February 27, 2011

to the lighthouse





Friday before last I spent the day with two women I’ve known for more than twenty five years. We remember eachother’s youth, and eachother’s ex-s, and long-dead mothers. One of us, K has been on her own for many years, since her husband died. Now she’s suddenly head over heels in love with someone new, and he’s moving in with her soon.

So L and I thought we’d take K out for a day, a sort of hen’s party (surely there is a better turn of phrase?) to celebrate the big change about to happen in her life.

We had lunch at the Beach Cafe, then went to Kings Beach. Walked down the rainforest track and swam naked in clear green water. And reminisced about the last time the three of us were there together, almost twenty years ago. We used to spend a lot of time at the beach when we were young. Before life got busy. Our bodies are the bodies of older women now..We lay chatting and dreaming in the shade of pandanus trees, then  finally walked back up the track to the carpark. 

To end our day together we went up to the Byron lighthouse and watched the moon come up over the sea. We can all see the swinging beam of light from the light house from our different houses every night - though L lives half an hour up the coast from here and K & I are half an hour inland. The Lighthouse is a beacon of connectedness... A sort of local sacred site really. 


2 comments:

Pet said...

You are such a lovely writer - I guess human being too. Thanks for being there again. And you are right, it is your sensitivity that can make any small change to plunge you in despair, but then the colour of strawberries come at your rescue. A bit of training of your sensitivity might help too :-)
And - weird little world - I was writing about my mother too and about my peacefull memories of NZ when the earthquake came.
But coming back to this your last post. I would have loved that swim in the green waters. Lucky girls. And I can see for the amount of your writing that your arm is fine too.
PS: I'm sending you the link to our holiday pictures. You did like the "artistic" ones so I hope you'd like the family ones as well.
http://www.blurb.com/books/1980653

Pet said...

I hope this one works. Just click in Preview and then Full Screen.
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/1536844/bf992e8d4391b9c100a8a474e08377c6
Thanks for your comment. The intention of my blog was to share things that could be useful to others (special books, special places, recipes). I did not want to show too much of personal stuff. But your blog is encouraging me to try to share something else too.